Sunday, September 16, 2012

Some things

So up until now I've told you a lot of things that are awesome and lovable about Italy. But there's just a few things on my mind. I also want to point out for potential study abroad students reading this blog that the positives heavily out way the negatives, but here's a heads up. 

I've only traveled to one other country besides Italy that didn't border the United States. On my trip to South Africa a few years ago I went to visit my sister who was studying abroad at the time. She had made friends with locals and lived in a little town bordering Capetown so it made it feel like a community. To be an American there you were expected to have lots of money, be smart, and be pretty. I generally felt very well accepted. Here, Americans have a different reputation. SOME Italians think Americans are spoiled, crass, and uncultured. I have been doing my best to learn my Italian, make friends with local store keepers and neighbors, and immerse myself in the culture. I think part of the reason some people here don't appreciate us is because this is a city with millions of tourists every year: they come to see the statue of David and leave. When people learn that I am actually living here, that sometimes helps. 

Another thing that I don't particularly enjoy is the amount of groups of American students there are at my university. To me, coming to a new country with 45 people from my home institute is kind of silly. Yet there are at least two colleges that have majority population in my classes. I was hoping for more of an international feel, and try to make friends with people from South America or Asia instead of the states. 

Okay so for listening to me gripe, I'll tell you something that I LOVE but you can't tell anyone: secret bakeries. Almost every night, from around 2-3am, certain bakeries around the city open to serve freshly baked treats. Most of them are unmarked (like the one in the pic), hidden in side streets, and serve you goods straight out of the oven. Last night we finally found one! We literally were told a general area to look and smelled our way there. You have to be very quiet, if you're too loud they won't open for you. You knock one time to let them know you're there and someone comes to the door. You order and pay and then they return with your treat. We heard rumors of these chocolate filled crescents and our mouths were watering when they finally opened up. Unfortunately for us, no crescents - but pizza! This was one of the best pieces I've had and it was different because it was much thicker than most and completely covered in gooey mozzarella. YUM!


Waiting outside the secret bakery

Enjoying my secret treat :)

Okay now that I've got this off my chest I can get on loving Italy. One love.