Sunday, September 9, 2012

Adventure is out there

Incredible to me that I've only been gone a bit over a week. Everything around me has started to become familiar, although I was pretty stressed about being here at first. It was awesome, but it was A LOT to deal with all at once. I've been blessed with some amazing roommates and we've quickly become good friends. They are going to be a key part of why this experience will be so special. 

This past Wednesday night, we all decided to go out for the Italian tradition of aperitivo. Basically this is a time of socialization and snacking before actual dinner. Ganzo, the university run restaurant I mentioned before, hosts a great aperitivo for 5 euro. Your entry fee includes a drink and a buffet of varied cuisine. The spread was great and we all had a really good time. 




This plate was my second haha there was so much to try! I will tell you some of the things I know are on the plate, sadly I do not know what everything was. Okay so the rice ball is to the right, it was pretty tasty, and a bit creamy on the inside. The veggies right above it were so good! I thought that they were onions so I only got a little bit but someone told me they are an local veggie, they were covered in an olive oil and mandarin orange dressing with spices. There's also some potatoes with an interesting sauce, chicken and rice curry, pasta, sauteed eggplant, couscous and a corn salsa. In case you were wondering, there was no need for dinner after this!

On Saturday, I attended my first school trip. We went to Viareggio, a town on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. The train ride was beautiful because there were many small towns we passed through with soaring mountains just behind. At the beach, we had access to a private beach and spent the day basking in the sun (it was 32 degrees Celsius... do the math if you'd like). Instead of going with my roomies I went with a girl I've met from Louisville and another CMU student. It was a good day to sit with a book and work on my sadly forgotten tan. 





One love. Ci vediamo a dopo.